Thursday, 12 February 2015

Collard Greens: Newly tested for FODMAP content




We have received many requests about the FODMAP content of collard greens.  This green leafy vegetable belongs to the same family as cabbage and broccoli.

FODMAP RATING
Collard greens – 1 serve 
(1 cup, cooked, 36 grams or 1.3 oz)
LOW
Collard greens – ½  serve 
(½ cup, cooked, 18 grams or 0.6 oz)
LOW



Collard greens have been given an overall rating of green.   The serving sizes specified here are low in FODMAPs and should be tolerated by most individuals with IBS.  

           


3 comments:

  1. I can't eat Collard greens without digestive distress. Weird. I wonder what it is? Maybe it's just that they have a lot of fiber--not a very tender leaf, I even made some pureed the other night, but had terrible stomach pain the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe try sauteing them in a little olive oil if you are eating them raw. Maybe you are already doing this, but if not it would be worth a try. IBS can be tricky, but all I know is I can not eat many vegetables raw, especially broccoli, but if it's cooked or steamed, I am just fine with it. Same thing with mushrooms. I learned this pretty quickly when visiting salad bars and trying different raw veggies on my salads. But, when these same veggies were cooked at home I was fine with them. Cooking breaks down the vegetables which makes easier to digest and less stomach acid is needed to break them down. Then, farther down the GI tract, less gas is produced. Hope this helps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collards are a very tough green. I cook them well, deribbing them, cutting them into chunks and braising them in 2+ cups of water in a dutch oven or large pot on the stove, at a medium heat, for about an hour. That might do the trick.

    ReplyDelete